Strategy 4: Patient Centered Care
Organize care around the diverse needs of patients and families.
To read more details about this strategy, download the full Transplant Resource Guide
This section has been reviewed and updated as of October 2018.
- Patient Education
Informed Consent Samples
- CMS Required Elements of Consent for Transplant Patients – Download – The George Washington University Hospital
- Consent for Accepting a Blood Type A2 or A2B Kidney – Download – The George Washington University Hospital
General Transplant Patient Education
- Checklist for Referring Physicians – Download – Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Food Safety for Transplant Recipients – Link – or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to request copies.
- For additional information visit the FDA Transplant Recipient site – Link
- Partnering With Your Transplant Team: The Patient’s Guide to Transplantation – Link
- United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) – Link
- Understanding the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) – Link
- UNOS Patient Website – Link
- Transplant Living (UNOS) – Link
- Transplant Policy Brochures (UNOS) – Link
- Explore Transplant & Living Donation – Link
- Living Donor Toolkit – Link – AST
Heart Transplant Patient Education
- About Heart Transplant – link – Emory University Hospital
- Heart Transplant – link – American Heart Association
- Heart Transplant – link – National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute
Kidney Transplant Patient Education
- American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP) – Link
- A Guide to Pediatric Kidney Transplant – Link – University Transplant Center for Children
- About Kidney Transplant – Link – Emory University Hospital
- After Your Transplant (Kidney) – Link – Duke Transplant Center
- Before Your Transplant (Kidney) – Link – Duke Transplant Center
- Dialysis/Transplant Comparison Chart – Link
- Living Kidney Donation – Link – University Transplant Center
- What is a Kidney Transplant and How Does it Work? – Link
- About the Kidney Transplant Learning Center – Link – UNOS
- Kidney Transplant Spanish Website – Link – Informate
Kidney & Pancreas Transplant Patient Education
- Kidney-Pancreas Transplant – link – Barnes Jewish Hospital
- Kidney-Pancreas Transplantation – link – National Kidney Foundation
Liver Transplant Patient Education
- About Liver Transplantation – link – Emory Transplant Center
- After Your Transplant (Liver) – link – Duke Transplant Center
- Liver Transplant – link – National Liver Foundation
- Liver Transplant Patient Education Class – link – University of Michigan Transplant Center
Lung Transplant Patient Education
- A Patient’s Guide to Lung Transplant – link – University Transplant Center
- After Lung Transplantation – link – International Transplant Nurses Society
- After Your Transplant (Lung) – link – Duke Transplant Center
- Before Your Transplant – Part I (Lung) – link – Duke Transplant Center
- Beginning the Conversation with Patients and Families about Lung Transplant – download – Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Beginning the Lung Transplant Conversation with Cystic Fibrosis Patients and their Families – download – Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Lung Transplant – link – Barnes Jewish Hospital
- Lung Transplant Evaluation Education Sessions – download – Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Lung Transplant Patient Education Book – link – University of Virginia Health System
- Lung Transplant Today – Link
- Pediatric Education
Transitioning Pediatrics to Adults – Link – UNC STARx Transition Program
- Relevant Literature
- Applying best practices to designing patient education for patients with end-stage renal disease pursuing kidney transplant – article – Skelton SL, et al. (2015), Progress in Transplant, 25(1): 77-84. doi: 10.7182/pit2015415.
- Effective teaching strategies and methods of delivery for patient education: A systematic review and practice guideline recommendations – article – Friedman AJ, et al. (2011), Journal of Cancer Education, 26(1): 12-21. doi: 10.1007/s13187-010-0183-x.
- Health literacy in heart transplantation: Prevalence, correlates and associations with health behaviors – Findings from the international BRIGHT study – article – Cajita MI, et al. (2017), The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 36(3): 272-279. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2016.08.024. Epub 2016 Sep 13.
- Looking on the BRIGHT side of health literacy in patients with cardiac transplantation: Where are we and where do we need to go? – article – Mclivennan CK. (2017), The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 36(3): 253-255. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2016.10.002. Epub 2016 Oct 13.
- Optimizing informed consent in living liver donors: Evaluation of a comprehension assessment tool – article – Gordon EJ, et al. (2015), Liver Transplantation, 21(10): 1270-1279. doi: 10.1002/lt.24175.