Strategy 2: Dedicated Team
Create a dedicated team by creating a collaborative and rewarding work environment that attracts. retains, and is supported by highly-skilled, dynamic, and committed transplant professionals.
To read more details about this strategy, download the full Transplant Resource Guide
This section has been reviewed and updated as of December 2018. To see past content, click on the Archive tab below.
- Professional Links
Resources for Transplant Professionals
- OPTN Bylaws – download
- OPTN Resources (Patient safety, allocation calculators, living donation, etc.) – https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/resources/
- UNOS Learning by Topic – https://www.transplantpro.org/education/training/
- UNOS Online Store (Professional materials from UNOS, like patient guides, etc) – https://www.dokshop.com/Unos/login.asp
- UNOS Resources by Organ – https://www.transplantpro.org/resources/by-organ/
- OPTN Crosswalk Guide (CMS/OPTN) – https://transplantpro.org/policy/compliance/crosswalk-guide/
Transplant Professional Organizations
- NATCO – http://www.natco1.org/home/index.asp
- American Board for Transplant Certification (ABTC) – http://www.abtc.net/Pages/default.aspx
- American Society of Transplantation (AST) – https://www.myast.org/
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) – https://asts.org/
- International Transplant Nurses Society (ITNS) – http://www.itns.org/
- The International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation (ISHLT) – http://www.ishlt.org/
- Job Descriptions, Orientation & Competencies
Job Descriptions (click on link)
Staff Orientation Materials
- Transplant Coordinator – Core Competency Assessment Tool for Newly Hired – Download – Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Transplant Coordinator – Orientation Competency Sign Off – Download
- Transplant Financial Coordinator – Orientation Competencies – Download
- Transplant Financial Coordinator – Orientation Competency Checklist – Download
- Social Worker Orientation – Download – INTEGRIS Nazih Zuhdi Transplant Center INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center
Staff Competency Materials
- Annual Liver Competency Quiz – Download
- Competency-based Job Description Template – Download – Rutgers University
- Transplant Dietician Competency – Download – INTEGRIS Nazih Zuhdi Transplant Center INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center
- Transplant Pharmacist Competency – Download – INTEGRIS Nazih Zuhdi Transplant Center INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center
Transplant Onboarding Program (click on image to learn more)
Transplant Mentorship Program (click on image to learn more)
- Relevant Literature
- 4 Employee Retention Strategies in Healthcare – Article – Jami; Jan 2016
- Adult cardiothoracic transplant nursing: An ISHLT consensus document on the current adult nursing practice in heart and lung transplantation – Article – Coleman B, et al. (2015), The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 34(2): 139-148.
- Attracting, Onboarding, and Retaining Employees Within the Health Care Industry – Article – American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration; (2011).
- Beliefs of Nursing Professionals in the Organ Donation Process for Transplantation – Article (subscription) – dos Santos, M., Martins, M., Mira, V., et al. (2017). Transplantation Proceedings, 49(4), pp.756-760. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.transproceed.2017.01.074.
- Dedicated Team Reference Citations – Download
- It is time for board certification in transplant pharmacotherapy – Article – Pilch, N., Fleming, J., Crowther, B., Maldonado, A. and Taber, D. (2018). American Journal of Transplantation, 18(9), pp.2370-2371. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajt.14958.
- The Independent Living Donor Advocate: A Guidance Document From the American Society of Transplantation’s Living Donor Community of Practice (AST LDCOP) – Article – Hays, R., LaPointe Rudow, D., Dew, M., Taler, S., Spicer, H. and Mandelbrot, D. (2015). American Journal of Transplantation, 15(2), pp.518-525. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajt.13001.
- Focus on shared governance: Evaluation of a professional practice model – Article – Morgan V, et al. (2015), Nurs Manage, 46(12): 8-10. doi: 10.1097/01.NUMA.0000473509.15808.d0.
- A National Survey Assessing the Current Workforce of Transplant Pharmacists Across Accredited U.S. Solid Organ Transplant Programs – Article – Taber, D., Pilch, N., Trofe-Clark, J. and Kaiser, T. (2015). American Journal of Transplantation, 15(10), pp.2683-2690. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajt.13323.
- Nursing and transplant coordination: a call for clarity – Article – McNatt GE. (2008), Prog Transplant, 18(3): 208-215.
- The Psychosocial and Independent Living Donor Advocate Evaluation and Post-surgery Care of Living Donors – Article – Rudow, D., Swartz, K., Phillips, C., Hollenberger, J., Smith, T. and Steel, J. (2015). Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 22(2-3), pp.136-149. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10880-015-9426-7.
- Representing complexity well: a story about teamwork, with implications for how we teach collaboration – Article – Lingard L, et al. (2012), Medical Education, 46: 869-877. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2923.2012.04339.x.
- Role of the social worker and the transplant center QAPI committee – Article – Nephrol News Issues. 2014 May;28(6):40-1.
- The role of advanced practice nurses in transplant center staffing – Article – Hoy H, Alexander S, Payne J, Zavala E. (2011), Prog Transplant, 21(4): 294-298.
- A Standardized Framework for Transplant-Specific Competencies for Dietitians – Article (subscription) – Pieloch, D., Friedman, G., DiCecco, S., Ulerich, L., Beer, S. and Hasse, J. (2017). Progress in Transplantation, 27(3), pp.281-285. https://doi.org/10.1177/1526924817715466.
- Tours of Duty: The New Employer-Employee Compact – Article – Hoffman R, Casnocha B, Yeh C. (2013), Harvard Business Review.
- Where has all the staff gone? Strategies to recruit and retain quality staff – Article – Hauff HM. (2007), Prog Transplant, 17(2): 89-93.