Legal and Regulatory References
The Alliance welcomes submissions to the Organ Donation Toolbox.
Contributions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a statement providing approval for posting to this site.
The following pages contain hyperlinks to official government websites hosting electronic versions of state and federal laws. All citations are to laws and regulations posted on the linked websites as of the date the site was last visited for the purposes of compiling this section of the Toolbox (i.e. through July 1st, 2018). In some instances, we have been able to link only to the website home page. In those cases, we have provided navigation instructions to assist you in locating the cited law/regulation.
These links may not remain current as states revise their websites and codes. If the link is broken, cut and paste the link into your browser’s address line. If the link still does not work, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com.
Please note: Laws (and linked websites) change and your use of the information in this section is subject to the Terms and Conditions of Use (below).
This section has been reviewed and updated as of December 2018. To see past content, click on the Archive tab below.
- Federal Statutes and Regulations
- National Organ Transplant Act (NOTA), as amend and codified, 42 USC §§ 273 et seq.
- Social Security Act, Hospital protocols for organ procurement and standards for organ procurement agencies, 42 USC §1320b-8
Drivers Privacy Protection Act, 18 USC 2721 et. seq. (PL103-322)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), 42 USC 1320d-1329d-8
- United States Code – Official web site – search here for the most current versions of federal laws.
- Basic Hospital Functions: Conditions of Participation: Organ Tissue and Eye Procurement, 42 CFR §482.45
- Specialty Hospitals: Conditions of Participation, 42 CFR. §§482.68 through 104
- Critical Access Hospitals: Conditions of Participation: Organ Tissue and Eye Procurement, 42 CFR §485.643
- OPO: Requirements for Certification and Designation and Conditions for Coverage, 42 CFR §486.301 through §486.348
- Federal Register Notice for OPO Requirements for Certification and Designation and Conditions for Coverage, 71 Fed Reg. 31046 (2006-05-31)
- CMS Emergency Preparedness Final Rule CROSSWALK – Download
- OPTN Bylaws – click here for link to OPTN bylaws web page
- OPTN Policies – click here for link to OPTN policies web page
- OPTN – Regulations Establishing OPTN, 42 CFR §121.1 through §121.13
- HIPAA Official HHS Site for laws, regulations, guidance and FAQs – click here
- Federal Register Notice for HIPAA Privacy Regulations, 65 Fed. Reg. 82462, 2000-12-28
- State: Anatomical Gift Laws
You should confirm the currency of the links provided below by visiting the most current version of the code at the state code website and searching on the citations listed below.
ALABAMA RUAGA, Ala. Code 1975 §§22-19-169–22-19-184
ALASKA RUAGA, A.S. §§ 13.52.173 – 268
ARIZONA RUAGA, Ariz. Rev. Stat. §§36-841–- 36-864, Scroll down to 36-841.
ARKANSAS RUAGA, Ark. Code §§20-17-1201 to 20-17-1227. Click “I Agree.” Type < Revised Arkansas Anatomical Gift Act > in the search field. When results appear, select “20-17-1201. Short title.”
CALIFORNIA RUAGA, Cal. Health and Safety Code (HSC) §§ 7150-7151.40. To read statute as codified, click on link or paste URL into browser search line and follow these steps: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml Select Code Search, then select Health and Safety/Div 7 Dead Bodies/Ch. 3.5 Uniform Anatomical Gift Act.
COLORADO RUAGA, Colo. Rev. Stat. §§12-34-101–125. Click “I Agree.” Type < Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act > in the search field. When results appear, select relevant section.
CONNECTICUT RUAGA, Conn. Gen. Stat. §§368i-19a-289–289
DELAWARE UAGA, Del. Code tit. 16, §§2710-2719
FLORIDA UAGA, Fla. Stat. §§765.510-.547 (2011)
GEORGIA RUAGA, Ga. Code §§44-5-140-159. and Ga. Code §16-12-160. Click “I Agree.” Type < Revised Uniform Anatomical Gifts > in the search field. When results appear, select relevant section.
HAWAII RUAGA, Haw. Rev. Stat. §§327.1-.26. Click on this link for a list of regs and then click on “next” at the bottom of the page to navigate section by section through the code. Alternatively, to read particular sections, insert section number from overview page in lieu of the highlighted numbers below e.g. section 9 would be 0009 and 20 would be 0020: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol06_Ch0321-0344/HRS0327/HRS_0327-00020.htm
cut and paste URL into browser address line.
IDAHO RUAGA, Idaho Code §§39-3401 – 3425
ILLINOIS UAGA, 755 ILCS §§50/1–50/11
INDIANA_RUAGA, Ind. Code §§29-2-16-1 –29-2-16-21. Click on Title 29 Probate. At the top of the page that opens under the blue tabs, select Article 2 and then Chapter 16.1.
IOWA_RUAGA, Iowa Code §§142C.1-18
KANSAS_RUAGA, K.S. Stats. §§65-3220-3244
KENTUCKY_RUAGA, Ky. Rev. Stat. §§311.1911-.1959, scroll down to §311.1911.
LOUISIANA_UAGA, La. Rev. Stats. §§17-2351-2359. To read statute as codified, Select Title17 and scroll down to section 2351-2359.
MAINE_RUAGA, Me. Rev. Stat. tit. 22 §§710-B:2941-.2965
MARYLAND_RUAGA, Md. Code Estate & Trusts, §§4-501-521, To read statute as codified, click “I Agree.” At search page, cut and paste < Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act > in search field and check Table of Contents immediately below. Click on Subtitle 5.
MASSACHUSETTS_UAGA, Mass. Gen. Laws, ch. 113 A
MICHIGAN_RUAGA, Mich. Comp. Laws §§333.10101-.10123
MINNESOTA_RUAGA, Minn. Stats. §§525A.01-.25
MISSISSIPPI_RUAGA, Miss. Code. (1972) §§41-39-101-149. Click “I Agree.” Type < Uniform Anatomical Gift Act > in the search field.
MISSOURI_RUAGA, Mo. Rev. Stats. §§194.210-.307, scroll down to Chapter 194.210.
MONTANA_RUAGA, Mont. Code Ann §§72-17-101 – 312
NEBRASKA_RUAGA, Neb. Rev. Stat. §§71-4824-4825
NEVADA_RUAGA, Nev Rev. Stat §§451.500-598, scroll down to §§451.500.
NEW HAMPSHIRE_RUAGA, N.H. Rev. Stat. §§ 291-A:1-25
NEW JERSEY_RUAGA, New Jersey Stats. §§26:6-77 – 96, Type < 26:6-77> into the search box at the top left of page and click search button. When results load, click on <26:6-77 Short Title>. At page that opens, RUAGA sections are listed in the sidebar on left hand side. Click on the section you wish to open.
NEW MEXICO_RUAGA, N.M. Stat. §§24-6B-1 through 25. Select type of device used e.g. Desktop or tablet/smartphone and click OK. To locate by table of contents; in window/panel on left, click on + to expand menu, select NMSA unannotated. Select Chapter 24 and scroll down to Article 6B. To locate by record search: In search window on right, type in “Revised Anatomical Gift Act”.
NEW YORK_AGA, NY Public Health Law, §§4300 through 4310; see also § 4351, in search box at top of page, insert < Anatomical Gifts > and click on search.
NORTH CAROLINA _RUAGA, NC GS §§130A-412.3 through 412.25, at Table of Contents, scroll down to 130A-412.3.
NORTH DAKOTA_UAGA, N.D. Cent. Code §§23-06.6-1 through 23, To read statute as codified, scroll down and click on §23.06.6 to download a copy of the law.
OHIO_RUAGA, Ohio Rev. Code §§2108.1 through 29
OKLAHOMA_UAGA, Okla. Stat. §§63-2200.1A et seq., scroll down to Title 63. Download file. Open file and use document “Find” function to search for 2200.1A – at table of contents. locate desired section number and scroll to it or do another find using the section no.
OREGON_RUAGA, Ore. Rev. Stat §§ 97.951-.983, to read statute as codified, scroll down to Act beginning at §97-951.
PENNSYLVANIA_UAGA, 20 Pa. Consol. Stat. §§8601 et seq., Legislation to revise the statute is currently pending before the Pa. legislature.
PUERTO RICO, 24 L.P.R.A. §§3620-3620y, to read statute as codified, click “I Agree.” At search page, cut and paste < Donations and Transplants > in search field and check Table of Contents immediately below. Select Chapter 150 for a full listing of section numbers.
RHODE ISLAND_RUAGA, R I Gen. Laws §§23-18.6.1-1-.25
SOUTH DAKOTA_RUAGA, S.D. Codified Laws §§34-26-48 through 72, scroll down to §34-26-48
SOUTH CAROLINA_RUAGA, S.C. Code Ann. §§44-43-300-415, scroll down to §44-43-300
TENNESSEE_RUAGA, Tenn. Code §§68-30-101 — 120, click “I Agree.” At search page, cut and paste < Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act > in search field and check Table of Contents immediately below. Select Enter. Select Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act from search results.
TEXAS_RUAGA, Tex. Health & Safety Code §§692A.001-.023
UTAH_RUAGA, Utah Code §§26-28-101 through 125
VERMONT_RUAGA, 18 Vt. Stat.Ann. §§5250a-5250z, Click “I Agree.” Type < Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act > in the search field. When results appear, select Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act.
VIRGIN ISLANDS_RUAGA, 19 V.I.C. §§401-425, Click “I Agree.” Type < Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift > in the search field. When results appear, select Chapter 20 and Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act.
VIRGINIA_RUAGA, Va. Code §§32.1-291.1-291.25, Scroll down to Article 2 for a list of RUAGA sections.
WASHINGTON_RUAGA, Wash. Rev. Code. §§68.64.010-.903
WEST VIRGINIA_RUAGA, W. Va. Code §§16-19-1 — 16-19-23
WISCONSIN_ UAGA, Wisc. Stat §§157.06 (2) — 157.06 (28m)
WYOMING_RUAGA, Wy. Stat. §§35-5-201 — 35-5-225, Click “I Agree.” When the new page opens, scroll down to Title 35, Chapter 5, Article 2.
- State: Determination of Death Laws
- ALABAMA, Ala. Code 1975 §§ 22-31-1 — 22-31-4, Scroll Down to Title 22. From there, select Title 1. Scroll down to Chapter 31 – Determination of Death Act.
- ALASKA, A.S. §§ 13.06.35 (1)
- ARIZONA, Ariz. Rev. Stat. §§14-1107 (1)
- ARKANSAS, Ark. Code § 28-10-205, Click “I Agree.” Type < Evidence of Death or Status > in the search field. When results appear, click relevant section.
- CALIFORNIA, Cal. Health & Safety Code (HSC) §7180
- COLORADO, Colo. Rev. Stat.§ 12-36-136, Click “I Agree.” Type < Determination of Death > in the search field. When results appear, select “§12-36-136. Determination of Death”.
- CONNECTICUT, Conn. Gen. Stat. §19a-504, In the “Section” potion of the search form, type < 19a-504a > click “enter.” When results appear, please select “19A-00–0504–AK.DOC”.
- DELAWARE, Del. Code tit. 24, §1760
- DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, DC Code §7:601
- FLORIDA, Fla. Stat §382.009
- GEORGIA, Ga. Code §31-10-16, Click “I Agree.” Type < Criteria for Determining Death > in the search field. When results appear, select “§31-10-16. Criteria for pronouncing death; immunity from liability”.
- HAWAII, Haw. Rev. Stat. § 560:1-107 (2014)
- IDAHO, Idaho Code §§54-1819
- ILLINOIS, 755 ILCS §§50/1-10, scroll to Definition of Death
- INDIANA, Ind. Code §1-1-4-3, scroll down to §1-1-4-3
- IOWA, Ia. Code §702.8, Type <702.8> in the search field. When results appear, select “Section 702.8 Death.”
- KANSAS, Kan. Stats. §§77-204 to 205
- KENTUCKY, Ky. Rev. Stat. §§446.400
- LOUISIANA, La. Rev. Stats. §9.111, in the “View a Specific Law” section, type < 9 > into the “Title” search box and type < 111 > into “Section” search box. Select “View”.
- MARYLAND, Md. Code Health General, §§5-201 to 203, Click “I Agree.” Type < Determination of Death > in the search field. When results appear, select “§ 5-202. Cessation of circulatory and respiratory or brain functions”
- MASSACHUSETTS, General Laws ch.109, §1-107
- MAINE, Me. Rev. Stat. tit. 22 §§706:2811-.2813
- MICHIGAN, Mich. Comp. Laws §§333.1033
- MINNESOTA, Minn. Stats. §145.135
- MISSISSIPPI, Miss. Code. §§41-36-1 to 36-3, Click “I Agree.” Type < Determination of Death > in the search field. When results appear, select “§ 41-36-3. Determination of death.”
- MISSOURI, Mo. Rev. Stats. §§194.005.1, Type < Death, legal definition > in the first box of the search field. When results appear, select “194.005.”
- MONTANA, Mont. Code Ann §§ 50-22-101
- NEBRASKA, Neb. Rev. Stat. §§71-7201 to 7203
- NEVADA, Nev. Rev Stat. §451.007
- NEW HAMPSHIRE, N.H. Rev. Stat. §§ 141-D:1-D:2
- NEW JERSEY, New Jersey Statutes §§ 26:6A1-8 or NJAC §§ 8.2A-03.5, Click “I Agree.” Type < Death Pronouncement > into search box and when results appear, select relevant section.
- NEW MEXICO, N.M. Stat. §§12-2-4, Type < Determination of Death > in the search field. Click “Search”. When results appear, select “§12-2-4. Determination of death.”
- NEW YORK, 10 NY Codes, Rules, and Regulations §§400.16, or NY Guidelines for Determining Brain death (2011).
- NORTH CAROLINA, NC GS §§90-323
- NORTH DAKOTA, N.D. Cent. Code §§23-06.3, scroll down and select “§23-06.3 Uniform Determination of Death Act”
- OHIO, Ohio Rev. Code §§2108.40
- OKLAHOMA, Okla. Stat. §§63-3121to 3123
- OREGON, to be advised
- PENNSYLVANIA, Act of 12/17/1982 (PL 1401 No. 323)
- PUERTO RICO, 24 LPRA §3620 (m), Click “I Agree.” Type < Respiratory and Circulatory > in the search field. When results appear, select “§ 3620 Definitions.”
- RHODE ISLAND, R I Gen. Laws §§23-4-16
- SOUTH CAROLINA, S.C. Code Ann. §§44-43-450 to 460, Scroll down to Section 44-43-450.
- SOUTH DAKOTA, S.D. Codified Laws §§34-25-18.1
- TENNESSEE, Tenn. Code §§68-3-501, Click “I Agree.” Type < Uniform Determination of Death Act > in the search field. When results appear, select “68-3-501 Uniform Determination of Death Act.”
- TEXAS, Tex. Health & Safety Code §671
- UTAH, Utah Code §§26-34, Type < Uniform Determination of Death > in the search field. When results appear, select “§26-34.”
- VERMONT, 18 Vt. Stat. Online tit. 18, §5218
- VIRGINIA, Va. Code §54.1-2972
- VIRGIN ISLANDS, 19 V.I.C. § 869, Click “I Agree.” Type < Determination of Death > in the search field. When results appear, select “§ 869. Uniform Determination of death.”
- WASHINGTON, See In Re Bowman, 94 Wn. 2d 407, 617 P. 2d. 731 (1980), Uniform Determination of Death Act judicially adopted
- WEST VIRGINIA, W. Va. Code §§16-10-1
- WISCONSIN, Wisc. Stat §§146.71
- WYOMING, Wyo. Stat. §§35-19-101 to 19-103, Click “I Agree.” Type < Determination of Death > in the search field. When results appear, select “§ 35-19-101. Determination of death.”
- Standard Setting Organizations
- AOPO – Members can access AOPO Standards and Interpretive Guidelines by logging in to the Members Portal. All others should contact AOPO directly.
- The Joint Commission – Hospital Accreditation Standards here.
- Health Facilities Accreditation (HFAP)
- Det Norske Veritas Healthcare (DNV
- U.S. Government Information on Organ Donation and Transplantation (OrganDonor.gov) – For information on Organ Donation Legislation and Policy
- Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA)
- United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)
- Organ Procurement and Transplant Network (OPTN)
- Federal Drug Administration (FDA)
- American Association of Tissue Banks (AATB)
- Eye Bank Association of America (EBAA)
- Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act (RUAGA) (2006) – National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws (now the Uniform Law Commission) is available with explanatory comments. See View Final Act (on left) and download Final Act (last amended 2009).
- Legal Framework for Information Sharing in Organ Donation and Transplantation, Glazier A., New England Organ Bank (NEOB)
- AST-FMLA Summary
- Department of Labor Response to Living Donors and FMLA – Download
- Joint Commission Requirements for Organ Procurement Organizations – Download
- The Principles of Gift Law and the Regulation of Organ Donation – Download