Catastrophic Brain Injury Guidelines
The Alliance welcomes submissions to the Organ Donation Toolbox.
Contributions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a statement providing approval for posting to this site.
This section has been reviewed and updated as of August 2018. To see past content, click on the Archive tab below.
- Active Donor Management During the Hospital Phase of Care Is Associated with More Organs Transplanted per Donor – Article (subscription) – Patel, M., De La Cruz, S., Sally, M., Groat, T. and Malinoski, D. (2017). Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 225(4), pp.525-531. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2017.06.014
- Deceased Organ Donor Management: Does Hospital Volume Matter? – Article (subscription) – Patel, M., Mohebali, J., Sally, M., Groat, T., Vagefi, P., Chang, D. and Malinoski, D. (2017). Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 224(3), pp.294-300, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2016.12.004
- The Development and Current Status of Intensive Care Unit Management of Prospective Organ Donors – Article – Ellis, M. K. M., Sally, M. B., & Malinoski, D. (2016). Indian Journal of Urology : IJU : Journal of the Urological Society of India, 32(3), 178–185. http://doi.org/10.4103/0970-1591.185103
- Differential Effects of Intraoperative Positive End-expiratory Pressure (PEEP) on Respiratory Outcome in Major Abdominal Surgery Versus Craniotomy – Download – De Jong, M., Ladha, K., Melo, M., Staehr-Rye, A., Bittner, E., Kurth, T. and Eikermann, M. (2016). Annals of Surgery, 264(2), pp.362-369. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000001499
- The Effect of an Intraoperative, Lung-Protective Ventilation Strategy in Neurosurgical Patients Undergoing Craniotomy: Study Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial – Download – Zhang, L., Xiong, W., Peng, Y., Zhang, W. and Han, R. (2018). Trials, 19(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-018-2447-4
- Emergency Department Referral for Organ Donation: More Organ Donors and More Organs Per Donor – Article (subscription) – Miller, L., Gardiner, S. and Gubler, K. (2014). The American Journal of Surgery, 207(5), pp.728-734. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2013.12.017
- Hypocalcemic Myocardial Dysfunction: Short- and Long-Term Improvement With Calcium Replacement – Article (subscription) – Wong, C., Lau, C., Cheng, C., Leung, W. and Freedman, B. (1990). American Heart Journal, 120(2), pp.381-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-8703(90)90083-A
- ICU Management of the Potential Organ Donor: State of the Art – Article (subscription) – Maciel, C. and Greer, D. (2016). Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports, 16(9). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11910-016-0682-1
- Impact of Catastrophic Brain Injury Guidelines on Donor Management Goals at a Level I Trauma Center – Article (subscription) – Quinn, L., McTague, W. and Orlowski, J. (2012). Transplantation Proceedings, 44(7), pp.2190-2192. https://10.1016/j.transproceed.2012.07.112
- Intraoperative Fluid Management: Past and future, Where is the Evidence? – Article (subscription) – Al-Ghamdi, A. (2018). Saudi Journal of Anaesthesia, 12(2), p.311. https://doi.org/10.4103/sja.SJA_689_17
- Low Albumin Levels, More Than Morbid Obesity, Are Associated With Complications After TKA – Download – Nelson, C., Elkassabany, N., Kamath, A. and Liu, J. (2015). Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®, 473(10), pp.3163-3172. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-015-4333-7
- Management of the Heart Beating Brain-Dead Organ Donor – Download – McKeown, D., Bonser, R. and Kellum, J. (2012). British Journal of Anaesthesia, 108, pp.i96-i107. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aer351
- Management of the Potential Organ Donor in the ICU – Article (subscription) – Kotloff, R., Blosser, S., Fulda, G., et al. (2015). Critical Care Medicine, 43(6), pp.1291-1325. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000000958
- Minimally Invasive Measurement of Cardiac Output during Surgery and Critical Care – Download – Peyton, P. and Chong, S. (2010). Anesthesiology, 113(5), pp.1220-1235. https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181ee3130
- Organ Donation in Adults: A Critical Care Perspective – Article (subscription) – Citerio, G., Cypel, M., Dobb, G., Dominguez-Gil, B., Frontera, J., Greer, D., Manara, A., Shemie, S., Smith, M., Valenza, F. and Wijdicks, E. (2016). Intensive Care Medicine, 42(3), pp.305-315. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-015-4191-5
- A Prospective Comparison of a Noninvasive Cardiac Output Monitor Versus Esophageal Doppler Monitor for Goal-Directed Fluid Therapy in Colorectal Surgery Patients – Article (subscription) – Waldron, N., Miller, T., Thacker, J., Manchester, A., White, W., Nardiello, J., Elgasim, M., Moon, R. and Gan, T. (2014). Anesthesia & Analgesia, 118(5), pp.966-975. https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000000182
The archive library contains articles and resources that were originally published 5+ years ago and are no longer current.
Catastrophic Brain Injury Guidelines – Download – (2011)
Severe Brain Injury Support Orders for Age 16 and Above – Download – 2009 – St. Josephs Hospital
Aggressive Organ Donor Management Protocol – Article – DuBose J, Salim A. (2008), J Intensive Care Med, 23(6): 367-375. doi: 10.1177/0885066608324208.
Care of the Potential Organ Donor – Article (subscription) – Wood KE, Becker BN, McCartney JG, et al. (2004), N Engl J Med, 351: 2730-2739. https:/doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra013103.
Devastating Brain Injuries- Assessment and Management Part 1: Overview of Brain Death – Article – Dixon TD, Malinoski DJ. (2009), West J Emerg Med, 10(1): 11-17.
Impact of Compliance with the American College of Surgeons Trauma Center Verification Requirements on Organ Donation-Related Outcomes – Article – Malinoski DJ, Patel MS, Lush S, et al. (2012), J Am Coll Surg, 215(2): 186-192. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2012.03.011. Epub 2012 May 23.