NATIONAL DONOR MANAGEMENT SUMMIT
Every other year, The Alliance hosts a National Donor Management Summit. The summit brings together national and locally recognized experts in the field of donation and transplantation to share and discuss how to effectively integrate organ donor management practices throughout the continuum of care. It is an interactive meeting with a focus on strategies and successful practices to maximize every donation opportunity in order to heal more lives.
The next National Donor Management Summit will be held in 2019. The theme, dates, and location will be announced in 2018.
2017 National Donor Management Summit: ‘Healing More Lives by Maximizing Every Donation Opportunity‘
This year, the Organ Donation and Transplantation Alliance (The Alliance) hosted a National Donor Management Summit with a focus on key roles of the critical care team, advanced donor management strategies and successful and transferable practices to increase the number of organs available for those on the transplant waiting list and to heal more lives. The learning objectives covered:
- The ethics, costs, and benefits of treating patients with catastrophic brain injury.
- National resources available to support donor management practices.
- Unique principles, obstacles and opportunities surrounding donor intervention research.
- Physicians impact and influence on the donation process.
- The transplant center perspective and new and upcoming developments within donation and transplantation.
During this forum, commitments were made. Themes of these commitments were (list not all inclusive):
- Maintaining/Preserving the option for donation (peds & adult)
- Institute CBIGs
- Education on potential donors, e.g. multiple comorbidities, ECMO, unexpected locations (e.g. Obs/Gyn)
- Treat pt for 72 hrs
- Patients with POLST/Advanced Directives
- ER starts the maintenance
- Use more stories & case studies in education
- Improve identification and referral processes of potential donors
- Evaluation/implementation of clinical triggers/cues for OPO consult
- Automate referral process through EMR system
- Brain Death Declaration Processes (peds & adult)
- Standardization (locally, system-wide, state-wide)
- Education on BD declaration
- Review & revise policies
- Standardize documentation & checklists
- BD declaration teams
- Communicating BD
- Donor Management Practices (peds & adult)
- Implement donor management goals (DMGs)
- Educate on donor management
- Treat every patient like a lung donor
- Research and implement donor management protocols
- Explore hypothermia management of the donor
- Take time with donor management
- Donation after Circulatory Death (peds & adult)
- Improve process
- Improve timing
- Improve communication with the family
- Improve identification for referral
- Grow hospital team & collaboration with OPO
- Create and grow donor councils (organ donation support team)
- System-wide donor councils
- Include Quality in donor councils
- Include and involve Palliative care
- Involve C-Suite
- Institute Donor Memorials
Learn more from your colleagues about their actions in follow-up to their commitments by clicking on this button: