Observed annually on February 14th, National Donor Day aims to raise awareness of the live-saving benefits of five different types of donation – Organs, Tissues, Marrow, Platelets, and Blood. Valentine’s Day, and every day for that matter, is the perfect day to share the love by committing to saving and healing lives through donation. Pay tribute to your loved ones who have given the gift of donation, have received a donation, are currently waiting, or have died waiting by joining the donor registry.
Benefits of the Gift:
- Organ Donation: On average, 20 people die each day waiting for a transplant. Just one organ donor can save up to eight lives.
- Tissue & Eye Donation: One donor can help restore sight to two people and heal the lives of 75+ people.
- Bone Marrow Donation: Of the patients in need of a bone marrow transplant due to disease, infection, or chemotherapy, 70% of them do not have a matching donor in their family. You could be the perfect match!
- Platelet Donation: Platelets are essential to those fighting and surviving cancers, chronic diseases, and traumatic injuries. Every 30 seconds there is someone in need of platelets.
- Blood Donation: Approximately every two seconds, there is someone in need of a blood transfusion, which translates to the need of over 41,000 daily donations. Donating blood is not only good for the health of those who need it but also for the donors who give the gift.
#TalkDonation with Your Loved Ones
Registering as an organ and tissue donor means considering what will happen after you die, which can be uncomfortable to process. It is important to understand your options and communicate your decision to your family as your decision will take priority over your family’s preferences. Making the decision for yourself in advance will make it easier for your family during a difficult time.
#BeTheGIFT – You Can Make A Difference
Every 10 minutes, another name is added to the transplant waiting list which currently consists of over 113,000 people. There’s one major factor that contributes to these agonizing waits – not enough registered donors. Many nonprofit health organizations sponsor organ and tissue donor registration initiatives as well as blood and bone marrow drives nationwide. Help us spread awareness. Signing up will give hope to the thousands of people awaiting a life-saving transplant.
- To find your local Organ Procurement Organization and learn more about Organ & Tissue Donation, click here.
- To find local Blood Drives and Donation Centers, click here.
- To register to Donate Bone Marrow, click here.
- For National Donor Day social media graphics and messaging resources, click here.