APRIL IS NATIONAL DONATE LIFE MONTH! – (Download PDF Version)
DONATION AND TRANSPLANTATION BY THE NUMBERS
The need for donation and transplantation in the U.S.: (www.unos.org)
- More than 115,000 people are currently awaiting a lifesaving organ transplant.
- A new name is added to the national waiting list every 10 minutes.
- An average of 22 people die every day while waiting for a transplant.
- 58% of patients awaiting lifesaving transplants represent an ethnic minority.
- 80% of patients on the waiting list are waiting for a kidney.
- 12% of patients waiting are in need of a liver.
- Nearly one-third of all deceased donors are over the age of 50.
- Each year, approximately 30,000 tissue donors make nearly 2 million life-enhancing tissue transplants possible, including bone, skin, veins, tendons and heart valves.
- More than 48,000 patients have their sight restored through corneal transplants each year.
The results of donation and transplantation in the U.S. in 2017:
- 16,473 people gave the gift of life through organ donation.
- These gifts resulted in 34,770 transplants.
AN ANNUAL CAMPAIGN FOR DONATION AWARENESS
Each year since 2003, April has been a special month for national, regional and local activities that encourage the American public to consider the importance of donation and to register as organ, tissue and eye donors. It is also a time to honor the heroes who have given these ultimate life-saving and life-enhancing gifts. The decision of each person who chooses to donate gives those awaiting transplant hope while they wait for a precious second chance at life.
Countless opportunities exist for promotion of organ donation during April. Establish your own campaign or make use of existing materials:
- The Made Possible by An Organ Donor campaign generated many audio, visual and print options available for free download.
- Share stories and information on social media.
- Fly a Donate Life flag to demonstrate your organization’s support of donation.
- Educate partners on the processes of donation utilizing video clips.
- Frame your Facebook picture or create a Twibbon. Visit Donate Life America to learn more.
Participate in National Donate Life Month Blue & Green Day on April 13, 2018!
Visit Donate Life America for a variety of free downloadable materials and ideas for national donate life awareness campaigns!
Registered organ, eye, and tissue donors save lives! Join the more than 138 million registered donor in the U.S. and register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today at RegisterMe.org, or log on to the Medical tab of your iPhone Health App.
Written by Hedi Aguiar RN, MSN, CCRN-K, Senior Director of Programs, The Alliance
Editor: Corey Bryant, Communications Manager, The Alliance, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Education Corner is available for download. The Alliance grants permission for the distribution and reproduction of this educational communication.