April is National Donate Life Month!
What is National Donate LIfe Month?
Observed each April, National Donate Life Month (NDLM) features an entire month of local, regional and national activities to encourage Americans to register as organ, eye and tissue donors and to celebrate those that have saved and enhanced lives through the gift of donation. Organ procurement organizations, hospital and community partners team up for special events and initiatives to communicate the life-saving and healing power of donation, and the importance of sharing their decision with their families.
Why should NDLM be important to me and my organization?
While the number of transplants being performed across the U.S. are higher than ever, the need is still ever-present. According to OPTN:
- More than 118,000 people are waiting for a lifesaving transplant across the country, including many within your own community.
- Every 10 minutes, a new name is added to the national transplant waiting list.
- On average, 22 people die each day while awaiting transplant.
The good news: public education initiatives like NDLM are making a difference!
- Last year, more than 33,600 organ transplants were performed, marking a 20 percent increase in transplants over the last five years.
- Already in 2017, a reported 2,554 donors have made 5,367 transplants possible, citing OPTN total donor and transplant data, January through February.
How can I participate and promote NDLM in my role?
- Donate Life America carries plenty of resources and implementation ideas, from promo items to print materials and social media graphics.
- Fly a Donate Life flag to highlight your organization’s support for the gift of life.
- Share donation stories on your social media sites and with your online community.
- April 21 is National Donate Life Blue and Green Day. Members and supporters of the donation and transplantation community are invited to wear blue and green in an effort to spread awareness. Share you photos on social media with the hashtag #BlueGreenDay .
- Show your support on Facebook and Twitter by adding an overlay of your profile pic! Visit Twibbon to learn how!
Register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today at RegisterMe.org, or log on to the Medical tab of your iPhone Health App.
Editor: Corey Bryant, Communications Manager, The Alliance, email@example.com.
This Education Corner is available for download. The Alliance grants permission for the distribution and reproduction of this educational communication.