NATIONAL DONATE LIFE MONTH!
DONATION AND TRANSPLANTATION BY THE NUMBERS
- More than 121,000 people are awaiting a lifesaving organ transplant.
- Someone is added to the national waiting list every 10 minutes.
- An average of 22 people die every day while waiting for a transplant.
The results of donation and transplantation in the U.S. in 2015:
- 15,064 people gave the gift of life through organ donation.
- These gifts resulted in 30,973 transplants, making history as the first time exceeding 30,000 annual transplants.
- This represents a 5% increase in transplants over 2014 (OPTN).
AN ANNUAL CAMPAIGN FOR DONATION AWARENESS
Each year since 2003, April has been a special month for national, regional and local activities that encourage the American public to consider the importance of donation and to register as organ, tissue and eye donors. It is also a time to honor the heroes who have given these ultimate life-saving and life-enhancing gifts. The decision of each person who chooses to donate gives those awaiting transplant hope while they wait for a precious second chance at life.
Countless opportunities exist for promotion of organ donation during April. Establish your own campaign or make use of existing materials:
- The Made Possible by An Organ Donor campaign generated many audio, visual and print options available for free download.
- Share stories and information on social media.
- Fly a Donate Life flag to demonstrate your institution’s support of donation.
- Educate partners on the processes of donation utilizing video clips.
April 15th is National Donate Life Blue & Green Day!
Visit Donate Life America’s page for a variety of free downloadable materials and ideas for national donate life awareness campaigns!
DECIDE TO BE A HERO TODAY! Sign up to be a donor at donatelife.net.
A special thanks to Elizabeth Spencer from Elizabeth Katherine Communications LLC for her contributions to this issue.
United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) – https://www.unos.org/data
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network – https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/
Donate Life America – http://donatelife.net
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Donate the Gift of Life – http://www.organdonor.gov/materialsresources/mpb-organ-donor-psa-campaign.html
Editor: Hedi Aguiar RN, MSN, Director of Programs and Communications, The Alliance, email@example.com.
This Education Corner is available for download. The Alliance grants permission for the distribution and reproduction of this educational communication.