Donor Family Reaches Out to Multi-Organ Recipient

Posted by:

Nearly a week after Kyree Beachem’s rare triple organ transplant, she has been taken off sedation at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC. The operation was a success and Kyree’s mother, Nan Beachem, is thrilled that Kyree is alert and holding her hand. Family and friends are happy to see Kyree’s eyes once again. “It is like Christmas came early,” Beachem said.

Eight-year-old Kyree has Hirschsprung’s disease, which occurs when nerve cells are missing in the muscle of the colon. While the Pennsylvania child waited for an organ transplant, her condition became worse. Her liver was failing, and she’d already been admitted to the hospital because of bleeding.

Kyree’s family was surprised when doctors informed them that a potential donor had been found. At 2 a.m. on Wednesday, November 25, Kyree was rolled into the operating room for a transplant of her liver, small bowels and pancreas. During the transplant, doctors were unable to close her abdomen because of swelling from the new organs. Doctors were finally able to close it on December 1 by using a biosynthetic material to replicate the muscle structure of her abdomen.

Even as Beachem celebrated the transplant they’d waited five years for, a thought lingered in her mind. She knew that organs were woven into Kyree’s small, frail body because another child had died. “I couldn’t wish for that call, because I knew that for us to get that call what had to happen,” Beachem said. “If it was going to happen, it was going to happen. But I couldn’t wish for somebody to lose a child. It wasn’t in my power to wish the transplant call would come.”

Shortly after the surgery, Beachem, who has posted about Kyree’s surgery on Facebook, was shocked and excited to receive a message from another family. After a few questions, “I knew 100%” it was the family of the donor, she said.

A connection between mothers

In Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the family of Arianna Morales grieved over the death of the 5-year-old child at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital. Arianna had lobar holoprosencephaly, a condition that keeps the brain from fully developing. Arianna had seizures and was able to say only a few words, but she expressed many of her emotions through her eyes and smiles. Before she passed away, Arianna was making strides in physical therapy, including gaining strength to stand and walk. Her death was sudden and due to an illness, said Evelyn Morales, Arianna’s mother.

“We are going to miss her because our whole lives revolved around Arianna. … But we are really happy that she was able to save some lives and that she is going to live on that way,” Morales said. Four children, including Kyree, can live because of Arianna’s organs, Morales said; her heart and kidneys were also donated.


Read the full article at


About the Author:

  Related Posts

Add a Comment