Communicating CBI / TBI to a Family
(CBI / TBI – Catastrophic / Traumatic Brain Injury)
- Give frequent updates to family on patient’s condition.
- Advocate for family to get questions answered by physicians.
- Consult social services / pastoral care / case manager for family support.
- Provide and encourage conversations in the family’s preferred language.
- Invite family to participate in bedside care (e.g. washing face, applying lotion to hands, etc.).
- Encourage personal items in the room (e.g. music, photos, blanket).
- Ask family what is most important to them ...